South Africans react to first case of Monkeypox

Social media went abuzz as many South Africans reacted to the new first case of Monkeypox, after the country confirmed new detected case of the rare disease.

Health minister Dr Joe Phaahla said on Thursday that he had been notified by the country’s laboratory services that they had confirmed the first monkeypox case in South Africa.

He was speaking during a media briefing and he cautioned the public to not panic, as the government is keen to trace all close contacts.

However, South Africans couldn’t spare a moment, as they throwed shades at department of Health:

“Just a few hours after lifting all Covid-19 restrictions, I guess this time around we will be forced to wear overalls,” said Ernesto Bhekie on Facebook.

“So the man has no travel history and he was fully vaccinated, so that means is the [vax] that caused this….ay cut! Cut!,” said Songezo Babela on his Facebook post.

Some blamed the leadership of President Cyril Ramaphosa, saying that Jacob Zuma was a better president and he did not sell South Africans.

“We knew it will reach us every sickness that is in the world, South Africa always benefit it. I don’t know how [coz] when Zuma was a president ebola didn’t reach South Africa. Is he(Ramaphosa) selling us for his benefits,” said Sbusiso Zwane.

Monkeypox is a viral disease that causes flu-like symptoms and skin lesions. It is endemic in parts of Africa, but not South Africa.

The continent has registered just over 1,500 suspected cases since the start of 2022, of which 66 have been fatal, according to official data.

Share Kasi Voice News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »